[Wine] Re: Ubuntu 6.06, wine and ALSA

Daniel Skorka skorka at gmx.net
Mon Mar 19 00:48:16 CDT 2007

Huk <Flashpoint at op.pl> wrote:
> I got some strange problem when running wine with ALSA as sound driver.
> For example: when I run mdk2 (I compiled wine myself version 0.9.22 -
> newest for now) sound is very noisy and crack'y and I get tons of this
> errors:
>
> err:dsound:DSOUND_MixInBuffer length not a multiple of block size, len
> = 3122, block size = 4
[...]

Nothing new about that. dsound has always had problems, and a fix still
seems to be quite far away.

> When I chose OSS as my sound driver it runs very good altought I also
> get tons of above errors.

In that case, just use OSS.

> When I run winecfg and chose sound i get this in my terminal:
>
> james at james-desktop:/media/hdb5/mdk2$ winecfg
> ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:762:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) The dmix plugin supports
> only playback stream
> - using device default
> - using device default
> ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:762:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) The dmix plugin supports
> only playback stream
> - using device default
> - using device default
>
> Can this be the couse? How do I fix it?

It might be that using direct hardware access without going through
ALSA's dmix plugin could lead to better sound. Of course, you would
loose the ability to have multiple accesses to the sound card at the
same time.

Daniel