[Wine] Re: IE with winetools (wine ver. 0.9.9)

Stump842 at gmail.com Stump842 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 00:48:47 CDT 2007

ricardomilnio at gmail.com wrote:
> I tried installing IE6 using winetools, this failed for some reason.
> after several attempts i found IEs4linux, which installed IE5 and IE6
> for me with no hassle, can i get winetools to recognise this install?
> because it won't let me install other software at the minute, or could
> someone give me a hand in getting winetools to work with the original
> IE6 setup?
>
> cheers!

You don't mention what distro you are running, but this worked
perfectly for me in pclinuxos:

Download wine-0.9.10 from
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/system/emulators/wine/. If you have
wine installed already, uninstall the current version first. Also
delete your ~/username/.wine folder. Install flex and also bison if
they are not already installed, they are needed to build wine.
Uncompress wine-0.9.10.tar.bz2 (eg. using ark), then build and install
following the instructions in the README (this takes a good long
time!). Now you can build and install winetools (get
winetools-0.9jo-III.tar.gz from
http://www.von-thadden.de/Joachim/WineTools/).

BTW you will notice several newer versions of wine available on the
ibiblio.org server, but they don't seem to work well, or at all, with
the newest winetools... I know 0.9.19 didn't work and didn't try any
higher versions, but I already knew 0.9.10 would work (from a previous
install of pclinuxos .92) so that is what I went back to after updating
my os to pclinuxos .93a (Big Daddy).

When you first start winetools (by typing wt at a console prompt) you
will notice a message box saying that it may not work with the current
wine version you have installed... ignore that and continue to the base
setup. Choose Create a Fake Windows drive, then continue down the list
with TrueType Font Arial, DCOM98, MFC 4.x, then install IE6 for your
language version. Finally, back at the Main menu install Microsoft
TrueType core fonts.

If you like trying different distros and have never tried pclinuxos I
highly recommend you to give it a try!
Good luck!