[Wine] Re: installing on a different partition

Mantar, Feyelno nek dusa mantar.feyelno at YourPantiesSirWilliamfrontiernet.net
Mon Mar 19 00:49:52 CDT 2007

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 17:09:36 -0700, ats1080s wrote:

> im talking about making wine install applications to a different location.
>  i really couldnt tell you where its installing stuff to.  i make a new
> user sccout from the one that i had and i dont have a .wine directory in
> my home folder anymore.  after i installed steam i opened kdiskfree and as
> cs:s was downloading i sat there and watched the / partition fill up, so i
> dunno whats going on there.  is there a way to get wine back to defaults?
> i tried uninstalling it and installing it again and that didnt work.

 Okay, so your distro's probably using a system-wide wine location for app
installs. You can figure out where steam went by typing "find -iname
'*steam*' /" in a terminal (without the quotes) and it will show you the
location of all files that contain "steam" in the name. Ctrl-C will stop
the search when you've spotted what you're looking for.
 Once you've got the name of the directory, you can move it and create a
symlink back that will redirect wine to it. You'll have to be root, most
likely.
 A quick command-line runthrough:
---
cd /pathname		(if it's in /opt/wine/drive_c, pathname is /opt/wine)

mv drive_c /home	(moves the directory to the partition with space)

ln -s /home/drive_c .	(creates a link back here.)
---
 Hope that helps.

--
 - Mantar  --- Drop YourPantiesSirWilliam to email me.