[Wine] Re: Directory names in Wine patches do not match actual dir names

Segin segin2005 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 00:50:17 CDT 2007

Udo Kuhnt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> when I tried to apply the patches for the recent Wine versions, I
> noticed that in all patches released in the last weeks, the dir names
> do not match the names in the source code tar archives. So, for
> example, if the source code had been unpacked into Wine-0.9.18, the
> patch to upgrade it to v0.9.19 would use 'a' and 'b' instead of
> 'Wine-0.9.18' and 'Wine-0.9.19' as dir names.
>
> I really do not know why anyone would want to call their Wine source
> code dir 'a' or 'b', particularly since this means that the patch might
> be accidentally applied to the wrong version if one is not careful.
>
> Would it be possible to revert this to the old naming scheme again, or
> is there something that prevents this?
>
> Regards,
>
> Udo Kuhnt

This is something to do with the automatic patching system -- There
isn't a real directory a/ or b/ on the system generating the patches --
it's a quirk on the patch-generating portion of the revision control
system. (CVS, for example).

You'll find the same thing on almost every single upgrade patch for
almost every project. It's just par for the revision control system.