[Wine] Re: Newbie Problem: need Windows Printer Driver?

rainer gemaeuer at web.de
Mon Mar 19 00:50:20 CDT 2007

Daniel Skorka wrote:
> rainer <gemauer at web.de> wrote:
>> Most of the tutorials in the net are describing how to print at all or to
>> print with a special printer, but I couldn't find anything that describes
>> how to show the emulated application a "windows"-printerdriver.
>> I installed the driver for my printer (Brother HL-1430) via the driver-CD
>> and the setup there, but that did not work.
>
> Trying to install a windows driver under wine is pointless. If you have
> CUPS correctly set up, your printer should be available under wine. If
> you compile wine yourself, you will need to have the CUPS development
> package installed at compile time.
>
> Daniel

The Wine-FAQ are pretty clear about installing hardware drivers in wine
(http://www.winehq.org/site/docs/wine-faq/index#USE-WINDOWS-DRIVER-WITH-WINE)

-- quote
So the work performed on Wine would not even be of any use for such a
project. In other words, making it possible to use Windows drivers or
VxDs on Unix would be a completely separate project.
-- Endquote

I have CUPS correctly setup and - as I wrote - can print out of wine
applications (wordpad). But as it appears that's not good enough for
prism. I'm afraid it wants to see some windows-printer-driver. I'm not
sure if they have to work or if they just should be there somewhere :-)

any ideas?

thanks
rainer