[Wine] Re: Newbie Problem: need Windows Printer Driver?

rainer gemauer at web.de
Mon Mar 19 00:50:23 CDT 2007

Duane Clark wrote:

> rainer wrote:
>> Hi friends
>>
>> I just started using wine on my Linux-machine. Mostly because I want to
>> switch finally from Windows to Linux on my computer at work. There is
>> just one single application I want to "take with me" and that is
>> "GraphPad Prism" (http://www.graphpad.com/prism/Prism.htm).
>> So I installed  wine0.9.20 on my Mandriva2007. Then I used wine to
>> install Prism in its most recent version. Everythings fine, Prism starts,
>> but I cant open any old file or even blank cheets.
>> A quick google-research showed me that Graphpad knows the Problem (or a
>> similar one (http://www.graphpad.com/faq/viewfaq.cfm?faq=815):
>
> What kind of error messages are you getting from Wine (if any)? I am
> trying to see how you determined that the problem running under Wine is
> related to the FAQ. Just installing and trying to run the demo, I get a
> dialog that says "Unable to open file." whenever I try to create a new
> sheet.

That's what I get. And as far as I understood, they relate this behavior to
a missing or buggy printer-driver (in Windows). Everything else is just
speculation, based on the "unable to open the file"-error they mention in
this article. I thought that, if prism has problems with some printers in
its native OS, than it might have the more in an emulated environment. So I
thought that prism don't accept the build-in printer driver of wine,
although it's working.
So there might be a way (some configs?) to tell prism that there is a proper
printer driver, but I couldn't find it. I don't even know where to look ..

Wine tells me in the terminal:

$ wine "C:\Program Files\GraphPad\Prism 4\prism.exe"
fixme:richedit:RichEditANSIWndProc EM_SETCHARFORMAT: word selection not
supported
fixme:richedit:RichEditANSIWndProc EM_SETCHARFORMAT: word selection not
supported
fixme:richedit:RichEditANSIWndProc EM_SETCHARFORMAT: word selection not
supported
fixme:richedit:RichEditANSIWndProc EM_SETCHARFORMAT: word selection not
supported
fixme:richedit:RichEditANSIWndProc EM_SETCHARFORMAT: word selection not
supported
fixme:richedit:RichEditANSIWndProc EM_SETCHARFORMAT: word selection not
supported
fixme:richedit:RichEditANSIWndProc EM_SETCHARFORMAT: word selection not
supported
fixme:richedit:RichEditANSIWndProc EM_SETCHARFORMAT: word selection not
supported
err:ole:CoReleaseMarshalData IMarshal::ReleaseMarshalData failed with error
0x8001011d

the richedit stuff appears when I  try to open a new sheet and the ole stuff
comes when I close prism.
Is this related to my problem here?

thanks
rainer