[Wine] Wine identity for DCOM authentication

jpgmc janez.pers at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 00:50:56 CDT 2007

I have the following problem.

First the native Windows XP-XP setting:
I have a DCOM service on a remote XP workstation machine (The service
is OPC server simulator, but this is not relevant for my problem).

My (local) client application needs access to the DCOM service on the
(remote) server, and following the documentation which came with the
server and a lot of browsing, I managed to set it up under the
following conditions:

- There needs to be an user account on the server with same username as
my account on the local machine
- The account on the remote server has to have same password as the
account on the local machine.

Under those conditions, my application can connect to the  server and
get data it needs. If the criteria is not met, it does not get access.
I tried to disable all DCOM security on the client and server machine
(a bad idea, but for the sake of testing...), but I cannot get it
working with nonexistent remote account or different password, even ife
all possible authentication is set to "none" and everyone and everybody
has all possible privileges...

Now the Wine setup:

Instead of running the CLIENT under XP, I need to run it inside Wine. I
installed DCOM98.EXE, so this part is taken care of and there are no
DCOM related issues I am aware of. The client does simply gives me the
same answer (it cannot connect) as if I would run it from the local
user account that has not remote counterpart or has different password.

Now for the question: how do I force Wine to present itself to the
remote DCOM server as certain user with certain password? In Windows, I
create the account with the same username and give it the same
password, run the client under that account and it works. I do not have
option of explicitly setting the credentials, but I don't even need to.

In Linux, as far as I know, the passwords are encrypted so there is
zero chance that such thing would work out-of-the box. So, how do I
force wine to say, "I am user XXXXX, and my password is YYYY" to the
remote dcom server?

Hope I was clear what I need... I badly need the solution to check if
Wine is a viable option for certain kind of terribly messed up
interface (OPC over DCOM), for which very few linux options exist.