[Wine] Re: Using smart cards with IE6 and Wine?

Daniel Skorka skorka at gmx.net
Mon Mar 19 00:51:52 CDT 2007

david at quanterium.zzn.com wrote:
> Now here's the next step and I'm not sure how to proceed.  I have a
> smart card reader and I'd like to be able to use the certs on the card
> to identify to web sites that require them, using IE.  Normally in
> Windows, the ActivClient application has something to get the certs
> into IE, but I can't get the version of ActivClient that I have to
> install in Wine.
>
> I do have the card reader working in Linux/Firefox (unfortunately some
> of the intranet apps are IE only), so if there's some sort of way to
> get IE/Wine to access the card though that rather than trying to get
> ActivClient (or some other middleware?) installed in Wine that is fine.

You will not be able to do direct hardware accesses from wine.
I'm not sure how these Smart Cards work and how they are presented under
linux. If their contents appear (or can be made to appear) as files in a
directory, you can map these files to a drive in wine. Hopefully, that
is enough for what you need.

Daniel
--
Before you post: