[Wine] Re: running VBA code/macros within Linux

Cindy M. C.Meister-C at hispeed.ch
Mon Mar 19 00:52:10 CDT 2007

Hi Albretch,

If Word and Excel can run in this environment, then I'd expect any macros that
manipulate the applications' automation interfaces would work, as well...

If you're asking about using the Windows APIs through VBA code, then the
answer would be that the same thing would happen as with any other code that
works with the Windows APIs (Visual Basic, for example).

> I know you can run Windows applications using WINE (winehq.com), but has
> anyone tried, say, running Word or Excel VBA code/macros based on Windows
> run time libraries?
> ..
>  the thing is that in their faq
> (http://www.winehq.com/site/docs/wine-faq/index) they don't even mention
> this possibility and searching on; VBA Word, doesn't give you any hits,
> even though WINE does link to windows native dll's
> ..
>  Perhaps anyone hasn't tried that yet. Perhaps I haven't looked in the right
> place
> ..
>  Could you point me to examples/tutorials?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org