[Wine] Re: ACT! 6.0 under Wine

Duane Clark junkmail at junkmail.com
Mon Mar 19 00:52:10 CDT 2007

shane2peru wrote:
> Ok, here is what happened.  When I set msvcrt to Native - or Native
> Bulletin this is the results:
>
> wine C/ACT/act.exe
> err:module:LdrInitializeThunk "MSVCRT.dll" failed to initialize,
> aborting
> err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for
> L"Z:\\home\\shane\\C\\ACT\\act.exe" failed, status c0000142

That is strange. I don't know of a reason why you would get the message
"MSVCRT.dll" failed to initialize.

Basically, you cannot use Wine's msvcrt because it does not implement
the function _mbsspnp() (which I think is the problem making ACT 6 not
work). And a native msvcrt is breaking for some mysterious reason which
I don't know how to solve. So you seem to be stuck.

What is really needed is an implementation of _mbsspnp() in Wine's
msvcrt, but that appears to be non-trivial. Of course, once past that,
the program could possibly break somewhere else. Though I guess ACT 6 is
a bit old, so there is a decent chance that it might work if that
function were implemented.