[Wine] DavkaWriter 6 ?

Jonathan Allen jonathan at barumtrading.co.uk
Mon Mar 19 00:52:20 CDT 2007

Hi List,

Has anyone had any success in getting DavkaWriter 6 (a pretty full-functioned
English and Hebrew word processor) to work under Wine?  For me (FC4, 0.9.28 from
source) the install seems to work - albeit with a slew of winges about fonts) -
and the program also seems prepared to run.  I'm blessed if I can find a logo
file anywhere to make a launcher ...

But - the display is somewhat munged with the characters on the ruler being
replaced by boxes, the characters on the default keyboard (for entering Hebrew
characters) are boxes and so are the instructions as to which keyboard to
select.  If I didn't know how to drive this under Windows, I'd be stumped.

Also, when trying to select a font, many of the sample displays (to the right of
the font name, in the "AaBbCcDd..." format) also show boxes, although many do
show the correct font sample.  But leaving the font selection also leaves a
solid block of grey on the top R-H side of the document display area.

Lastly, picking up existing documents is a real problem.  New documents,
provided you select sensible fonts, are relatively easy to create with just a
few winges on the <stderr> channel.  Old documents, however, come in with "Tomes
New Roman" and "Arial" fonts and are all turned into pages of strange-sized
boxes; trying to select Bitstream Sans (for example) just looks dreadful and
completely out of size, which OpenOffice with Word documents doesn't do.  Any
ideas ?

Jonathan