[Wine] Re: Sound Problems

David crazydahveed at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 00:53:32 CDT 2007

Daniel Skorka wrote:
> David <crazydahveed at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hey guys, I am having some problems getting the sound to work with
> > wine, and I was hoping someone here might be able to help me out.  This
> > is my first time using wine, so I am still learning about it.  Anyway,
> > when I try to run my application, I get an error back:
> >
> > err:wave:DSDB_MapBuffer Could not map sound device for direct access
> > (Input/output error)
> > err:wave:DSDB_MapBuffer Please run winecfg, open "Audio" page and set
> > "Hardware Acceleration" to "Emulation".
> >
> > I have done as it requested and set the Hardware Acceleration to
> > Emulation; I even set it to emulate the driver.  Does wine
>
> Did that make the error message go away?

No, it does not make the message go away; it gives me that error
message no matter what.

> > automatically determine which of the ALSA/OSS/etc to use for sound?
>
> No, it uses the one you select in winecfg. It just tries to find out
> which choices make sense in the first place.

Does it hurt anything by having both ALSA and OSS selected?  I have
tried just ALSA, just OSS, and both; nothing seems to make a
difference.  I have an Abit Nvidia Nforce2 chipset motherboard with
onboard audio, which I would not imagine to have problems due to it
being so common.  Sound works fine everywhere but in wine.  How can I
tell which driver I should be using?

> > When I open the Audio tab on the winecfg, I get:
>
> > ALSA lib seq_hw.c:457:(snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: No
> > such file or directory
>
> /me too. Most people don't have a sequencer.

Great, thanks.  Glad to hear that line doesn't matter.