[Wine] Re: winecfg freezes the PC

Robert M. Riches Jr. spamtrap42 at verizon.net
Mon Mar 19 00:53:40 CDT 2007

On 2007-01-11, rackelhane at hotmail.com <rackelhane at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I am running Ubuntu (Edgy) and installed Wine but I am unable to
> run the configuration. When I do winecfg I get the message: libGL
> warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4b and the ssytem
> runs to a halt. I have scanned the net for a solution but only found
> others with the similar problem. Suggestions anyone?

Until someone who actually knows something responds...

Do you mean attempting to run winecfg causes your whole
operating system to hang?  If so, I would suspect a problem
with your X server or graphics card driver.  I running
Mandriva 2007 (just moved from 2006) with an ATI Radeon 7000
graphics card, and my X server locked up when I attempted to
run glxgears.

If/When the system hangs, it might be useful to try to log
in over ssh to do an orderly reboot rather than to hit the
reset button.  Using the magic SysRq keys may also help shut
down the system with less risk of filesystem corruption.

You may find a more permanent solution by adjusting option
settings in your X config file.  Disabling dri, glx, v4l,
and/or other acceleration option might solve the problem at
some cost to graphics performance.

HTH

--
Robert Riches