[Wine] Re: Wanting to help with the programming, but not an actual programmer...yet

Daniel Skorka skorka at gmx.net
Mon Mar 19 00:53:59 CDT 2007

Ted <ted at f3.org.uk> wrote:
> I have read http://www.winehq.org/site/contributing and note that it
> says that you don't have to be a C programmer to get involved, but that
> is my main incentive in this case I'm afraid. I'd like to help the Wine
> project while at the same time learning and enhancing my programming by
> my own trial and error and feedback from experts like yourselves.

Glad to hear that.

> Is it possible for someone like me to get involved in that way i.e
> someone who is not really a programmer but who wants to be in a big
> way! Is there, for example, an 'easy project' that I could be given,
> perhaps with assistance from another?

[1] and [2] contain some projects that should be relatively easy to do,
even for a beginner. I'm certain the nice folks over at
wine-devel at winehq.org, which you certainly should subscribe to if you
want to start contributing, will be able to offer you some form of help.
You should be warned, however, that starting with wine coding can be
tough. Depending on what you are coding, you'll have to spend some time
browsing MSDN. And once you finish and submit your first patch, you'll
have to keep pestering Alexandre until he includes it.

Daniel

[1] http://winehq.org/site/fun_projects
[2] http://wiki.winehq.org/JanitorialProjects
--