[Wine] Font confusion

Göran Uddeborg uddeborg at carmen.se
Mon Mar 19 00:54:31 CDT 2007

In my attempts to get Fractal Mapper
(http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iAppId=3117) to work I am a bit
confused about the behaviour of text and fonts.

The application's documentation says you should be able to use any
TrueType fonts.  I see a menu with the fonts I have on the system.  If
I select one of them and enter some text I see the text as I enter it,
but when I finish it disappears.

I can select the area with the text, so the application thinks it is
there.  But it is invisible.

I've investigated a bit, and figured out that with a fresh wine
installation I have a list of all fonts in the registry under
Software/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/Fonts.  When I try to use
one font, its entry disappears from the registry!

If I
 1) copy a TTF file from /usr/share/fonts/... to
    .wine/drive_c/windows/fonts, and
 2) add an entry in the registry pointing to this file,
THEN I can use that font.  The text is still visible after I finish
entering it!

So I have a workaround.  But it doesn't seem to be the right way.  Am
I doing something wrong?  Is this a bug I should report?  Can anyone
explain what's going on?