[Wine] Wine not even born.

heliocb_meng-groups at yahoo.com.br heliocb_meng-groups at yahoo.com.br
Mon Mar 19 00:54:50 CDT 2007

Dear colleagues,

After installing Wine 0.9.30 (...mdk from winehq) on my Mandrake 10.1/
IBM T23 laptop, I tried "wine notepad" and various other variants of
the same, nothing coming out.

It has been able to find most of the libraries, after a lot of ENOTTY
according to 'strace' (500K of output, so I didn't attached it here),
but simply stucked, stopped to search for anything else and
nothing more happened for long minutes (I left it running almost 5min
like this before giving up).

The program didn't crashed with some message, it simply didn't go
anywhere.

My 'c:' is the usual '.wine/drive_c', my libraries are in '/usr/lib/
wine' and the executables of 'notepad' came with the package. All else
were kept 'as received'.

Are there anything that could help this? The package apparently
doesn't work with its own programs, but I have seen in the homepage of
Wine lots of examples of running various complex games.

I'm sorry if I can't give you any other details, but this failure is
really weird.

Thanks a lot.