[Wine] Re: Font confusion

Göran Uddeborg uddeborg at carmen.se
Mon Mar 19 00:55:25 CDT 2007

On 2007-02-22, joseph2k <quiettechblue at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Try setting a link from ~.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts to /usr/share/fonts

It won't work with *a* link.  /usr/share/fonts is a tree hierarchy, at
least on my system, and Wine seems to expect all files to be directly
in the fonts directory.  At least Fractal Mapper does.

Linking individual font files, instead of copying them, works, of
course.

But the situation is even more strange than I first thought:

When I create a new wine tree, it contains registry entries for all
the fonts in /usr/share/fonts.  If I don't do anything more, they are
mentioned in the menu, but invisible if used.

If I link the font files to $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/windows/fonts and
start Fractal Mapper, the registry entries disappear!  Certainly looks
like a bug to me, but what do I know?

If I then copy the registry keys back, and start Fractal Mapper again,
the fonts do work!  So I have a workaround.

See the AppDb for more detailed description of how I work around this.
http://appdb.winehq.org//appview.php?iVersionId=4540