[Wine] Re: How to setup a joystick in Wine

John Voltz ninevoltz at metalink.net
Fri Mar 16 17:28:26 CDT 2007

Daniel Skorka wrote:
> john.voltz at gmail.com wrote:
>> I spent hours the other night trying to re-map my Logitech USB
>> wireless gamepad for playing games in Wine. I added registry keys all
>> over the place with the cryptic X,Y,Z,Rx nonsense but nothing would
>> seem to work. Does anyone know how to do this properly, or is it
>> broken? I'm trying to map the right thumbstick for looking around and
>> left stick for moving in Rune.
>
> Can you do this when running Rune natively? If yes, what exactly
> prevents you form doing the same thing in wine?
>
> Daniel

Natively, I can use the Logitech device driver that lets you change
every parameter of the joystick and even map buttons to keyboard keys.
(It's an awesome joystick BTW, if you like the XBox controller)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826127209

Obviously, these drivers aren't going to work in Wine. I read some stuff
about registry entries you can make to remap a joystick axis, but it
doesn't seem to work. I even looked at the DirectInput source code and
did what I thought should work, but it doesn't. I just wonder if anyone
has had any luck re-mapping a joystick in the registry?

I know there is a native Linux version of Rune, but I don't have a copy
and don't plan on trying to obtain one either, because it runs
flawlessly in Wine except for this little joystick annoyance,

Thanks,

John