[Wine] Re: Which version ? Advice please.

Paul Williamson paul.williamson at zetnet.co.uk
Mon Mar 19 00:47:53 CDT 2007

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 17:20:23 +0000, Aggro wrote:

> Paul Williamson wrote:
>
>> I believe 0.9.21-15.1 is the latest version, and I can see how Yast
>> might be getting confused (I think it was mentioned in this group a
>> while ago), but could some one please re-assure me that the "security"
>> reason for the 20050725-3.2 has been fully dealt with in 0.9.21-15.1 ?
>
> As no-one else answered to you... I'm not 100% certain about this, but
> I'm sure enough that I wouldn't have a fear about using the latest
> version.....

Thanks for your answer, it's reassuring.  I will continue to use the
latest version.

>> Also, does anyone here happen to know how I can tell Yast Online Update
>> to stop tryng to get me to install the older version ?
>
> Perhaps by uninstalling it from the Yast and then installing it from
> other route so that Yast doesn't know that you have it installed.

...and thanks for that suggestion.  I'll make further enquiries.

And if I may go off topic for just a moment - I think I am one of perhaps
many newscomers to linux via distributions such as Suse with a reasonably
"user-friendly" interface.  However, to give other posters an idea of how
little some of us know, I would say that I understand about 1 percent or
less of each posting I see on this list !

That said, I appreciate the vast amount of work that many people must have
done to make Linux and its software available to us "ordinary folk".  I
get a lot of patient help from friends far more expert at using computers
than I am, either in person or via newsgroups, so this gives me a chance
to thank all of those involved with "wine".  I find it very useful for
running a Windows version of a word-processor originally developed for the
Atari platform, called "Papyrus".   Anyone else use it with wine ?

Paul Williamson