[Wine] Re: Swarm (win95 game) leaving fragments

B.Hoffmann spamfilter.list at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 19 00:48:19 CDT 2007

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 12:59:31 +0000, Daniel Skorka wrote:

> B.Hoffmann <spamfilter.list at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> installed the old space shooter Swarm and it is running fine pleased to
>> say except artefacts of lasers and rockets that have been fired staying on
>> screen for up to another 6 seconds.
>> This is as you can imagine a bit irritating as they move with and stay on
>> the screen.
>>
>> Wine x.19. Have set the game to 'unmanaged' by the window manager as was
>> suggested here in another thread, but this did not help it.
>
> What about "Emulate a virtual desktop"? Does this work? Does it give
> better or worse graphics?
>
> Daniel

Unfortunately not. I have tried several window sizes from 800x600 to
1280x1240 on a desktop that is running on 1600x1280.
No change whatsoever, still the same delay.

I have also turned of the allow pixel shader (not utilising it anyway, too
old for that I guess and a 2d game).
Also did toggle vertex shader support from emulate to none to hardware, no
change, as expected.
Last I enabled desktop double buffering to see if that would do anything
in this case, but again no change. So I've only been trying out
combinations of what could possibly make a difference but to no avail.

BTW the grfx card is Ati Rage 128 Expert2000/PF 32MB with TV out which is
not in use.

Swarm was rereleased in '99 and lists as requmnts Win95/98, SVGA card,
DirectX compatible sound (which works fine through alsa), a Pentium 90,
and 16MB Ram. Not falling short here.

Any more ideas? Thank you.

Bernhard