[Wine] Re: How to get Cups to work with wine?

joe at actionline.com joe at actionline.com
Mon Mar 19 00:47:37 CDT 2007

You wrote:
> Don't search the files on your computer. Search the list of packages
> available in the program you use to install stuff.

I spent about 4 hours trying to figure out how to do what you
suggested.
Finally, I learned to proceed through the following sequence of
"clicks"
starting from Mandriva's STAR icon (i.e. "Start") and then thru these
submenus:
> System > Configuration > Packaging > Browse Available Software
to see what packages were available; and then following that same
sequence,
except substitute "Install Software" instead of "Browse" I had to enter
the root
password and then I saw a window titled: "Rpmdrake" wherein I had to do

some experimenting to finally figure out what to do next.

I realize this is no doubt all elementary to knowledgable/experienced
users,
but for the uninitiated, trying to find one's way through all these
steps is daunting.

> Don't take this the wrong way, but the documentation for your
> distribution should be the next thing you read.

I have read and re-read documentation and dozens of dozens of websites,

but it is terribly frustrating to try to find the information that one
needs and then
after days and days of searching, eventually discover that a *very*
simple, clear,
concise instruction could have provided the solution that one needed.

On the "Rpmdrake" "Software Packages Installation" window, after much
experimenting, I finally figured out how to find "libwine" ... and then
another
dialog popped up telling me of a bunch of other files that I would
need.
So, I went on another long search for all those, eventually determining
that
apparently those were already installed on my system.

So then, when I went back to try to install the "libwine" packages,
they
had disappeared and no longer could be found by Rpmdrake.  Huh?
Searching for "libwine" resulted in this message: "Search results
(none)"
Say what?  This is ridiculous.

After yet more searching, it seems that apparently the "libwine"
package
got installed (without me realizing it).  Don't know how all that
happened.

But now, I have discovered that wine does find my printer and I can
print
from notepad.exe and from another small application that I had
installed.

However, Pagemaker 7 and Paint Shop Pro 7 (both of which worked under
wine yesterday no longer work.  Wonderful.

What now?