[Wine] Re: ACT! 6.0 under Wine

shane2peru shane at rices4peru.com
Mon Mar 19 00:52:09 CDT 2007

Duane Clark wrote:
> shane2peru wrote:
> > I copied the windows msvcrt.dll over, there are actually 3 the other
> > two are msvcrt20.dll msvcrt40.dll   I did them one at a time, and
> > changed owner, then permissions to make them the same as the rest of
> > the dll's in the system32 directory.  Ok, here is what I get:

> > wine: Call from 0x7b840790 to unimplemented function
> > msvcrt.dll._mbsspnp, aborting
>
> I am a little puzzled by the sequence from this and the statements
> below. Did you get the above error message after going into winecfg and
> changing it to use the native msvcrt DLLs? Or does the statement below
> mean that you didn't get that far to get these error messages?
>

> >> You could always set the environment variable WINEDEBUG=+loaddll, and
> >> then run ACT. It should show which DLLs it is actually loading.
> > Can you explain how to do this?  Thanks.
>
> You would set an environment variable by executing the command:
> export WINEDEBUG=+loaddll
>
> > I tried setting the
> > configuration in wine to emulate 2000, I had been using xp, and I also
> > used the default.  I really don't see much of a difference between the
> > two.  When I go to the libraries, and add the msvcrt to native
> > bulletin, ACT won't even start.  ??  I tried it as just native and it
> > wouldn't start either.  ?    Thanks for the help.
>
> That is a little unusual, since this is normally one of the few native
> DLLs which can safely be used globally. I doubt the DLL is directly
> causing the program to not start, so I guess maybe a correct msvcrt DLL
> is causing ACT to break somewhere else in the program.
I added ACT as an exception to the global list, and now I realized the
changes that I was making to the global didn't seem to be affecting the
ACT since wine was treating it specially.  So I made sure this time all
the changes I made were to the ACT settings for wine.

Ok, here is what happened.  When I set msvcrt to Native - or Native
Bulletin this is the results:

wine C/ACT/act.exe
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk "MSVCRT.dll" failed to initialize,
aborting
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for
L"Z:\\home\\shane\\C\\ACT\\act.exe" failed, status c0000142

It doesn't run at all!  I have to remove that from the library section
to even get it to open.  Sorry if I wasn't clear about that before.

I put WINEDEBUG=+loaddll into the terminal and then ran ACT!, and I
didn't see any different results in the terminal.  Sorry wine is a bit
out of my range of understanding.

Here is what happen when I tried Windows 2000 settings, followed by
Windows 98, and then Windows 95 in that order as seen below:

WINEDEBUG=+loaddll
shane at shane-laptop:~$ wine C/ACT/act.exe
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4b
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4b
fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 8193
(SPI_SETFOREGROUNDLOCKTIMEOUT)
fixme:atl:AtlModuleInit SEMI-STUB (0x15c7328 0x15c7020 0x15c0000)
fixme:ole:CoRegisterMessageFilter message filter has been registered,
but will not be used
fixme:ole:CoRegisterMessageFilter message filter has been registered,
but will not be used
err:dc:CreateDCW no driver found for L""
fixme:commdlg:GetFileName95 Flags 0x00800000 not yet implemented
err:x11drv:X11DRV_CreateWindow invalid window width -15
err:x11drv:X11DRV_CreateWindow invalid window height -20
err:x11drv:X11DRV_CreateWindow invalid window width -15
err:x11drv:X11DRV_CreateWindow invalid window height -20
err:x11drv:X11DRV_CreateWindow invalid window width -15
err:x11drv:X11DRV_CreateWindow invalid window height -20
fixme:shdocvw:PersistStreamInit_InitNew (0x1d60d38)
fixme:shdocvw:WebBrowser_put_RegisterAsDropTarget (0x1d60d38)->(0)
err:x11drv:X11DRV_CreateWindow invalid window width -15
err:x11drv:X11DRV_CreateWindow invalid window height -20
err:x11drv:X11DRV_CreateWindow invalid window width -15
err:x11drv:X11DRV_CreateWindow invalid window height -20
err:x11drv:X11DRV_CreateWindow invalid window width -15
err:x11drv:X11DRV_CreateWindow invalid window height -20
wine: Call from 0x7b840790 to unimplemented function
msvcrt.dll._mbsspnp, aborting
shane at shane-laptop:~$ wine C/ACT/act.exe
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4b
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4b
fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 8193
(SPI_SETFOREGROUNDLOCKTIMEOUT)
fixme:atl:AtlModuleInit SEMI-STUB (0x16c7328 0x16c7020 0x16c0000)
fixme:ole:CoRegisterMessageFilter message filter has been registered,
but will not be used
fixme:ole:CoRegisterMessageFilter message filter has been registered,
but will not be used
err:dc:CreateDCW no driver found for L""
fixme:commdlg:GetFileName95 Flags 0x00800000 not yet implemented
err:x11drv:X11DRV_CreateWindow invalid window width -15
err:x11drv:X11DRV_CreateWindow invalid window height -20
err:x11drv:X11DRV_CreateWindow invalid window width -15
err:x11drv:X11DRV_CreateWindow invalid window height -20
err:x11drv:X11DRV_CreateWindow invalid window width -15
err:x11drv:X11DRV_CreateWindow invalid window height -20
fixme:shdocvw:PersistStreamInit_InitNew (0x1e60f90)
fixme:shdocvw:WebBrowser_put_RegisterAsDropTarget (0x1e60f90)->(0)
[...]
fixme:shdocvw:PersistStreamInit_InitNew (0x1e610a8)
fixme:shdocvw:WebBrowser_put_RegisterAsDropTarget (0x1e610a8)->(0)
err:x11drv:X11DRV_CreateWindow invalid window width -15
err:x11drv:X11DRV_CreateWindow invalid window height -20
err:x11drv:X11DRV_CreateWindow invalid window width -15
err:x11drv:X11DRV_CreateWindow invalid window height -20
err:x11drv:X11DRV_CreateWindow invalid window width -15
err:x11drv:X11DRV_CreateWindow invalid window height -20
wine: Call from 0x7b840790 to unimplemented function
msvcrt.dll._mbsspnp, aborting

It still seems to be hanging up on this msvcrt.dll .  Any ideas or
suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for the help!

Shane