[Wine] Re: Trying to install wine on ubuntu

David Rowell djrpublic at cfl.rr.com
Mon Mar 19 00:53:49 CDT 2007

If you've gone no further than your first post: click Places > Home
Folder then View > Show Hidden Files  Find a folder called ".wine" and
delete it, yes the "." is needed.  Folders beginning with "." are hidden.

Do not even think of installing / using Wine Tools it isn't necessary
and is out of date (Wine is updated every week or so).

Then click System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager  Give your
password.  When Synaptic's window opens click Search, enter "wine" in
the box, search.  Click the check box for wine then install - repeat for
libwine, wine-dev and libwine-dev also.  When the boxes are all checked
click Apply.  That will install a working version of wine on your computer.

Now to update it: Fire up Synaptic again. Click settings > Repositories
 > + Add  Click Custom and paste these 2 lines (one at a time) in the box:

deb http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt dapper main
deb-src http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt dapper main

When you've added those repositories back out to the main window and
click Reload.  That should (at this point I can't follow along myself
anymore) give you the opportunity to update wine and wine-dev - do it.
Exit Synaptic.

Click Applications > Accessories > Terminal  Enter "winecfg" and hit
enter.  That will establish the proper wine directory structure and
set-up Wine's Windows registry.

Synaptic will now keep Wine updated for you.  Every time Wine is updated
you should open a Terminal window and type "wineprefixcreate" and tap
Enter.  That will insure that the registry etc. is properly updated.

Now would be a great time to go to the Wine web page and read the user
manual.  Really!  Try it - it helps!

Clicking System > ?Help > ?System Documentation and searching for "wine"
will show links to information installed on your machine most of which
will probably be gibberish to you at this point.

To install a program you'll need to open a terminal and navigate to the
program's setup or install file's folder then
    "wine your-program-setup.exe"

I've set-up a folder in my home folder to hold install programs for
applications I want to run under Wine so I don't scatter 'em all over
the place.

Dave Rowell

That about right Daniel?