[Wine] Kernel 2.6 problem

Silas S. Brown nospam at cam.ac.uk
Mon Mar 19 00:54:14 CDT 2007

Hi,

I upgraded my kernel from 2.4.23 to 2.6.19.2
and Wine still works fine for most apps, but it
won't run Bider Speech Plus anymore.  It pops
up the splash screen, says "Initializing TTS
system" for a while, and then says

wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000000 at address 0x403c67 (thread 0009), starting debugger...
Usage:
        winedbg [ [ --gdb ] [ prog-name [ prog-args ] | <num> | file.mdmp | --help ]

Sometimes, instead of that, it prints onto the
splash screen: "Initializing TTS system failed.
Error code: 0x80650103.  Please see help or
tech support."  (Well I doubt they'd help.)

I'm using a normal 3G+1G memory model on IA32
and the latest stable version of Wine (I tried
recompiling it in the new kernel) and I don't
have any experimental graphics drivers or other
weird stuff running (in fact I'm using Xvnc as
the X server just to be sure).

I tried running a +relay,+seh,+tid trace (which
was 253M big) and there were several trace:seh
lines, the first being code c0000005 (access
violation) after a call of
user32.SetDeskWallPaper but it seems that was
handled, and later there was a code c000013a
after a load of calls to ReadFile() and then to
VirtualAlloc().  It seems
NtAllocateVirtualMemory is returning an error.
The last file it opened was Program
Files/Bider/Speech
Plus/Resource/Standard/SMExtern.rul which is
less than 1M so I don't see what's up with
that.  Why should NtAllocateVirtualMemory fail
on kernel 2.6 but not 2.4?

I'm using libc6 2.3.2.ds1-22sarge4 by the way
(Debian sarge distro).

Thanks.

Silas

--
Replace nospam with ssb22 to reply by email.