[Wine] wine WM8EUTIL

amautsch amautsch at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 00:55:20 CDT 2007

Hello,
i've got a little problem that begins to drive me mad.

FOr usage on my xbox360, i need to convert Videos to WMV.

After a long search, i found MS WM8EUTIL which seems to be perfect.
The Problem is, it doesnt work.
1. It begins to install, but never seems to register in the system
(is there a way to manually register setup.inf ? )
2. Though, suprsingly, all works well for audo only encoding,
video encoding does not work .

Whenn I issue :

wine ./WM8EUTIL.exe -input test.avi -output test.wmv

I End up with :

fixme:avifile:AVIFileExit (): stub!
fixme:quartz:Filtergraph_QueryInterface unknown interface
{56a868a3-0ad4-11ce-b03a-0020af0ba770}
hr  failed with HRESULT(0x80004002)
ERROR: Cannot build graph.  Please make sure:
    1) The AVI source file can be played from mplayer2.exe.
    2) WM8EUtil.exe is installed correctly.

I'D be glad if anyone can help me outa here,
or if anyone knows another way to encode wmv/wma under linx

Mencoder cann of course do this directly,
but it can only create wmv with mp3, but not with with wma.

Approaches with using mencoder for wmv encoding, and muxing the audio
track created
bei WM8UTIL, is no good either .. i get a stuttering video .. at least
a video

thanx in advance