[Wine] Re: Default file viewer

richardrosa richardrosa at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 19 00:55:35 CDT 2007

On Mar 3, 7:07 pm, Duane Clark <junkm... at junkmail.com> wrote:
> richardrosa wrote:
> > Greetings all,
>
> >   I am running Newsbin Pro under Wine, and it works fairly well.
> > However, I cannot read a post. When I try, I get a pop-up "No Viewer
> > is Defined for this File Type".  Since Newsbin creates a .txt file for
> > viewing, I would assume that it needs a text editor/browser to view
> > it.
>
> >  Could some kind soul tell me how I can define a viewer to be used
> > with this program? I assume that this would be a registry entry
> > somewhere pointing to something like notepad.exe.
>
> What version of Wine? From where (compiled, installed binaries)?
>
> Well, if Newsbin uses the registry, try running regedit, click on
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\.txt (assuming it exists), and see if the default
> value is "txtfile".
>
> Then in
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\Software\\Classes\\txtfile\\shell\\open\\command
> there should be:
> @="c:\\windows\\system32\\notepad.exe %1"

Duane,

  I'm running version 0.9.27 from rpm on Suse 10.2.

  Neither of the keys you mentioned were in the registry. I added
them, but still no joy. I'm pretty sure that newsbin uses the
registry, as there are no program settings for the default browser.

I brought this up in a Windows machine, and it does open notepad to
view files. A quick scan of the real Windows registry shows NOTEPAD in
at least 2 dozen places. I don't relish the task of entering in every
one of these by hand. Is there some easy way in Wine to set file
associations?

  Thanx for your assistance.

  Richard Rosa