[Wine] Mailing list going beserk

Jeremy White jwhite at winehq.org
Tue Mar 20 15:21:10 CDT 2007

John Drescher wrote:
>> We did system maintenance on the WineHQ server yesterday.
>>
>> Apparently, the gateway between the newsgroup and the mailing
>> list has been broken, and has been broken for some time.
>>
>> The mail flood is the result of that break being repaired,
>> so that the two are now linked again.  (You can see that the
>> emails flooding to wine-users are ones that originally were
>> posted to the newsgroup).
>>
> Any idea when this will end? I have received over 400 messages and I
> seem to still get around 10 of these emails to my gmail box every 5
> minutes.

Well, no, and the mystery deepens.  That is, I poked around in log
files and such trying to remember how the gateway is configured.

And the gateway is configured to use an NNTP server provided by
our old ISP, which rejects our queries, and has for quite some time now.

I spent the afternoon trying to figure this out, but have now essentially
run out of time.

I've disabled the gateway between news and mail in the hopes that
will stem the tide of old messages.  Once I figure out a news server
that will listen to me, I'll see about rebridging it
(although, arguably, a completely different solution may be more appropriate).

Cheers,

Jeremy