[Wine] Re: Lotus Notes and Daylight Saving Time

Duane Clark fpga at pacbell.net
Thu Mar 22 12:40:08 CDT 2007

Goesta Smekal wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
>    how do you handle the change from standard time to daylight saving time?
>
>    We are using LotusNotes 6.5.1 and Wine 20041019 on Kubuntu 5.10
> Breezy Badger. This is the combination where we experienced the least
> amount of Bugs.
>
>    Our hosts run UTC on the hardwareclock and live in the timezone
> Europe/Vienna, which will change from CET to CEST on sunday.
>
>    Tests have shown, that calendar entries will get shifted one hour
> after DST started. If you open an entry there is an info, that the event
> is located in a different timezone.
>
>    From a Windows point of view this is perfectly normal, because
> Windows changes the hwclock to the new version of localtime on every DST
> event. It doesn't change the timezone it lives in because there is no
> need to.
>
>    Linux on the other hand takes care about DST in software. (compare
> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/TimePrecision-HOWTO/index.html )
>
>    And so LotusNotes gets confused. You can even create the time shift
> effect, if you change the timezone using tzconfig on the fly.
>
>    This is very annoying and I cannot imagine there is no viable
> solution out there ...

I am a bit confused. I assume that this worked correctly in previous
years when the time shifted. So I assume this is a problem where Linux
has been updated so that it knows the new time change dates, but Wine is
still using the old ones. Does that sound right?

I don't think anyone here is going to be able to help with Wine from
2004, so I think you are going to need to find out where Wine from that
vintage keeps the timezone info, and modify it. I know that MS provides
the utility tzedit.exe for changing the timezone info in Windows2k.
Maybe it will work on Wine?