[Wine] Ultime9 works - or wine more win9x compatible than NT :-)

Clemens Eisserer linuxhippy at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 16:10:25 CDT 2007

Hi,

When I was about 17 (4 years ago) I dreamed Ultima9 would run on Wine.
No joke - I really dreamed about it. Maybe the many not very
successful tries with WineX made my brain to rebell even when I slept
;)

I thing with WineX 1.1 or 2.0 it worked but:
- 3d sound was broken.
- Colors were mixed up + some other rendering problems
- I had to hack a bit, because it crashed when it attemped to start
the video-player

Now I tried Ultima9+patch1.19 and it really works.
This is really great especially when taking into account that this
game segfaults at startup when running on NT based systems.
Sadly some graphical artifacts are still there:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7512940@N05/436810606/

I get some messages on the Console (attached at the end) - do they
contain the cause which could lead to the "only black" 2d elements.
Also the trees look somehow wired, they definitivly had a bit more
color under win98 ;)

Thanks a lot to all d3d hackers and for wine in general. How is that great :-)

Thanks a lot, lg Clemens