[Wine] install failure - new issues

Declan Moriarty junk_mail at iol.ie
Sat May 12 03:55:31 CDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-11 at 12:55 -0400, Andrew wrote:

> I upgraded wine to 0.9.36, and that solved the java problem, it seems.
>
> However, other problems surfaced:
>
> Problem 1
> I installed the Encyclopedia Britannica from CD #1, and it runs; however, the fonts are screwed up.
> Here is a snapshot of the window, bearing the weird fonts: http://www.flight.us/misc/crazy_font_britannica.jpg

They are genuinely mixed up. I suspect that something might think it's
unicode, whereas the rest disagrees. Are you using linux fontpaths in
xorg.conf/XF86Config or the xfs font server? Either way, fonts.alias
files allows substitutions to be specified, if I'm not mistaken. Such a
file should be in each font directory. Smaller, or uclibc distros may
not be unicode compatible.

> Is it fairly easy to install IExplorer? Given Microsoft's measures to
>  control installation processes remotely, verify OS license, etc.?

As I understand it, you can insert a registry key to _pretend_ you have
IE6. Search the mailing list. It came up recently. M$ took the approach
of making the OS grass on it's owner, instead of individual apps. That
makes it easier for the owner to fix the problem.
--
Declan Moriarty <junk_mail at iol.ie>