[Wine] Question on release 0.9.37 and using MSI installs linux

Tom Kielty tom.kielty at calabrio.com
Fri May 18 16:48:07 CDT 2007

I am new to WINE as we are evaluating it for a possible solution to our
product.

I am trying to understand what does the first comment of this release
really mean:

- MSI automation with JScript/VBScript support.

Does this mean that we can use the msi.dll to perform operations on MSI
installs?

Here is what our product does that I ask this question for. We have a
client server software package. We have been a pure windows based
environment. The server side has had a tomcat webserver that hosts our
client installers. Each client that wants to install our software goes
to the website and downloads a msi install. To make the installer easier
for pushing and to install we perform two operations on the msi's when
we install the servers. We transform them to the language chosen. We
also set ip addresses and other flags inside the msi database. To
perform these functions we use vbscript and windows dlls.

Our next release will be on a linux server but our client will still be
windows based. However we need to configure our clients on this linux
server. So what we are trying to determine, is that if we can run an
windows emulator on the linux platform to perform these operations.

There is another catch, our linux server is severely locked down in that
there is no console, or x-windows interface running. All operations are
done via webserver which in turn can run command line calls. So what we
need is an emulator that we can run on a single command that will
perform a vbscript call and use some windows dll's.

Can this product handle this?

Thanks

Tom Kielty