[Wine] Problems with World of Warcraft since 0.9.48 update

Marco Di Fresco marco.difresco at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 07:44:52 CST 2007

Hi all,
I have installed WoW with 0.9.47 (actually also 0.9.45 and 0.9.46 on
previous Linux installs) and it was working fairly well (with the due
modification to the registry, WoW config file, and nice -15), but I
started to have few problems since I have updated wine to 0.9.48.

The first and most annoying problem is that every 15-25 minutes WoW
freeze; I have to kill it and reopen it. That is annoying all the time,
but especially when I'm doing instances.

The second problem (again, after the 0.9.48 update) is that the sound
often disappear after a while (sometime after 5 minutes and other times
after 1 hour); even here I have to close WoW and reopen it to get the
sound back. I tried to run WoW from console and I get the following
error message (between tons of fixme messages):
err:dsound:DSOUND_MixOne Fatal error. Under/Overflow?
primary_done=61440, mixpos =3472/15052 (3780/16384),
primary_mixpos=2048, writepos=6144, mixlen=14336
t\WoW.exe: mixer.c:326: DSOUND_BufPtrDiff: Assertion `ptr1 < buflen'
failed.

The third problem is that the fps are very fluctuating: it keep going up
and down from 60 fps to 5 fps (even if most of the time it narrow to
10-45); it happens very fast (it does not stay on any numbered fps for
more than 1/4 of a second). This problem happens regardless how many
people are around (from the crows of Shattarat City to the desolation of
Blade's Edges Mountains). I don't pretend to have >80 all the time, but
getting a stable 25-35 would be great.

On a side note: I noticed that WoW take about 95% of the CPU. That
sounds too much (and maybe all these problems are due to this main
problem).

I have Kubuntu 7.10 64 bits on an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 Ghz, 2 Gb of Ram
DDR2 800Mhz, Nvidia GeForce 8800GTX (latest drivers downloaded directy
from the Nvidia web site). I have done the most common configurations
(modification to the registry, WoW config file, and nice -15) as listed
on http://www.wowwiki.com/Linux/Wine (I tried to search other how-to).

Any idea how can I solve my probles?

Thank in advance.

--