[Wine] 0.9.49's libwine "fix" broke my "system wide install" kludge...

Eric Benedict madrivereric at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 13 22:14:18 CST 2007

Short version: I'd like help in configuring the registry as described in Section 3.2.4 to allow for system wide installs.  0.9.49's libwine 'fix' plugged a security hole I was happily using to achieve the same effective result.

Thanks!

Eric

Long version: I'm using wine to run a copy of Quicken and want a single install of this program to be available to multiple users (i.e. via my wife's and my account).  I don't want two full installs of everything using up our disk space, so I figured out a kludge to do a system level install.

With some creative use of permissions and groups either account can run quicken and access the same data file.  This kludge depending on installing quicken in one user account and then running quicken from that user's directory.  (I actually set up a 3rd account dedicated specifically for holding the Quicken install)  Setting permissions to 774 and making all users who would run Quicken members of the group made things work reasonably well until 0.9.49 plugged this security hole my configuration kludge was depending on...

For now, I've downgraded the previous version and locked it since it was working well enough.  I'd really like to be able to 'keep current' with the wine installs, so I want to find a 'better' solution.  Looking through the wine documentation, Section 3.2.4 reads to me that if I properly configured the registry files I should be able to achieve the same result (one system wide install available to multiple users).  Unfortunately, I am complete and utter luser noob regarding registry files and so I don't have a clue as to what I need to do!  Can anyone guide me in how to configure a system wide install?

Since I'm guessing my problems are more registry related, I doubt my system particulars are required, but, here goes: Ubuntu 7.04, AMD64 (X2 4600+), Quicken Deluxe 2006.

and here are my Quicken Install notes...
Created dedicated quicken account.  Install Quicken into this account.  Give group RWX access to this account.  Configure user accounts to launch qw.exe located in this account.  Single "master" quicken file, accessible from multiple user accounts.  Note only one person can run quicken at a time...

based on: perspectoff's post on http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=194013

wget -q http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/387EE263.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -

In Synaptic package manager, add the repositories in Administration-->Software Sources-->Third Party:

deb http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt feisty main
deb-src http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt feisty main

reload sources and install wine and cabextract packages

su into quicken account and install ies4linux
wget http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/...-latest.tar.gz
tar zxvf ies4linux-latest.tar.gz
cd ies4linux-*
./ies4linux

ies4linux installs own version of .wine directory.  cd into .ies4linux, and move this directory to replace the .wine directory.  That is:
rm .wine
mv .ies4linux/ie6 .wine

now run winecfg to add install.exe on the quicken cdrom... choose "windows 98" and under "graphics" tab UNCHECK the option to "Allow the window manager to control the windows."

click apply and quit

run wine /cdrom/install.exe

Quicken will install

note arguments for quicken launcher to create launchers in user accounts

in Quicken account, chgrp everything to common users group (ie family).
make .wine directory (and all sub directorys) rwx to family

Store quicken data file in a commonly accessible directory.

For each user account:
* launch Quicken and load appropriate file
* disable registration nag: hold down ctrl+shift, select "one step Update" from online menu.  Click ok on the dialog that you'll no longer be prompted for registration (from Codeweaver's Quicken tips and tricks)  (may need to repeat this since data file may not always be readable)...