[Wine] Can't get OpenGL to work

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Sat Nov 17 20:19:14 CST 2007

On Sunday November 18 2007 01:13, Markus Hitter wrote:
> Am 18.11.2007 um 01:23 schrieb L. Rahyen:
> > [...] then your video card or its driver [...]
>
> Which driver? Is one suggested to install a driver in Wine?

	You must install driver for Linux of course. As far as I understand you
already have properly installed driver for your videocard.
	NVidia card with NVidia driver is best supported setup. ATI has buggy
drivers, and Intel video drivers are even worse as far as I know.

> > doesn't support all necessary features to run your 3D apps
>
> Well, in Windows ... Catia works just fine.

	In Windows you don't use Linux videodriver. In perfect world user expect that
if something supported in Windows then it is supported in Linux (and WINE)
too. But as far as I know in reality it is the case only with NVidia, and
even NVidia Linux and Windows drivers have some (minor) differences. With
non-NVidia hardware and drivers differences *may* be major.

> Well, in Windows native and emulators like VirtualPC (on PPC) Catia
> works just fine. Didn't test qemu or VMware so far.

	Please note that all virtual machines including VMWare do not support
hardware OpenGL rendering. So if your program works there then it uses
software OpenGL rendering instead.
	Maybe Catia doesn't work with current WINE at all? I cannot test it because
there is no demo. I suggest to report a bug about this problem at
http://bugs.winehq.org . But before reporting a bug I recommend you to try
Catia with NVidia hardware and driver if possible. Or if you cannot at least
try to run old games like Unreal Tournament 99 (it has OpenGL and DirectX
support) - if even such 8-years old game don't work on your computer then
almost all modern 3D programs will fail to work too.
	At least oZone3D works perfectly with WINE. If it doesn't for you then this
is either hardware or driver problem on your side (and not WINE bug). For
example, maybe Linux driver for your card doesn't support OpenGL 2.0 or have
a buggy implementation of it.
	Sorry that I cannot give you more advises; as I already said, I know very
little about non-NVidia videocards.