[Wine] Can't get OpenGL to work

Markus Hitter mah at jump-ing.de
Sun Nov 18 06:58:01 CST 2007

Am 18.11.2007 um 12:27 schrieb Ove Kaaven:

> None of the open source drivers support GLX 1.3 features, nor do
> most support OpenGL 2.0 features (and I take it your applications
> want them). You could use glxinfo to see what your drivers do support.

glxinfo reports a "client glx version string : 1.4". Catia's software
requirements read: "A Microsoft implementation of OpenGL libraries,
as delivered with with Windows 2000 or Windows XP". A specific OpenGL
version isn't mentioned.

Obviously, no special features are required, and any graphics
hardware should do. This matches my experience as I had Catia running
on really old hardware with a 4 MB graphics card. Slow, but working.

> Under Windows, OpenGL applications talks to the OpenGL driver, and
> gets the features provided by the driver. Under Wine, pretty much
> the same thing happens. The difference is that because you're not
> using Nvidia, you're stuck with crappy drivers. You may call it a
> "bug", but it's not in Wine.

As no driver features are required, this doesn't appear to be a good
excuse.

Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/