[Wine] Can't get OpenGL to work

Ove Kaaven ovek at arcticnet.no
Sun Nov 18 20:05:11 CST 2007

Markus Hitter skrev:

> Am 18.11.2007 um 12:27 schrieb Ove Kaaven:
>
>> None of the open source drivers support GLX 1.3 features, nor do most
>> support OpenGL 2.0 features (and I take it your applications want
>> them). You could use glxinfo to see what your drivers do support.
>
> glxinfo reports a "client glx version string : 1.4". Catia's software
> requirements read: "A Microsoft implementation of OpenGL libraries, as
> delivered with with Windows 2000 or Windows XP". A specific OpenGL
> version isn't mentioned.

It is. It says "as delivered with Windows 2000 or Windows XP". That
means it wants features that comes with Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

"Client GLX version string" does not say much. The way GLX works, is
that there's a "client" (the GL library that applications link to), and
there's a "server" (the X server). Both must support the desired
features. Normally the problem is the server support. The standard WGL
features found under Windows correspond roughly to GLX version 1.3.

The "OpenGL version string" (or the more fine-grained "OpenGL
extensions") is yet another detail to worry about, of course, as this
relates to the actual hardware features that an application can use.
This is probably less critical than the server GLX version string, though.

Let's compare OpenGL with a Linux desktop: The "OpenGL version string"
is the version of the distro. The "OpenGL extensions" is the individual
applications available to the user (and typically, as you add more apps,
a new version of the distro is released). The "client GLX version" is
the system libraries (like libc6). The "server GLX version" is the OS
kernel.

Now, compared to GLX 1.2, GLX 1.3 is an almost complete redesign (and
far more in line with Windows functionality); let's consider GLX 1.2 the
equivalent of a kernel with OSS audio, and GLX 1.3 the equivalent of a
kernel with ALSA audio.

If you somehow decide to run version 1.2 of the Linux kernel, then is it
then an xmms bug that you can't configure it to use the ALSA dmix plugin
and get 5.1 surround sound? Your hardware may support surround sound.
Doesn't matter if your kernel doesn't even support ALSA, does it?

Sadly, the open source OpenGL drivers have a "kernel" that don't
implement GLX 1.3. Implementing GLX 1.3, like implementing ALSA, doesn't
require any special hardware features, it's purely a software issue. But
it's a software issue in the *drivers*. Not in Wine.