[Wine] Big files; Slow I/O

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Thu Nov 22 14:50:05 CST 2007

On Wednesday November 21 2007 19:57, Jean-Michel Bruenn wrote:
> Hello,
>
> thanks again for your answer, especially for helping me. i will have a
> look at profiling, as i never used profiling for anything i hope that
> won't be as difficult as i think.

	It is very easy (well, not always: sometimes it may be hard). Use docs I gave
you as starting point and then Google to find out more. I recommend you to
learn more about kcachegrind, Valgrind/Callgrind (it's very slow) and
OProfile (fast).

> I collected some other informations, i would be glad if you would have
> a look on that, too. Attached you'll find a .TXT containing some
> informations i found out by debugging wine and using grep

	First thing you need to understand that fixmes (or warns) aren't bugs. They
are just reminders for developers. Bug is mismatch in behavior between WINE
and Windows in real-world application.

> I looked which DLL(s) are searched by wine, when running the
> game. I got the following not existent DLLs (They are not
> existing in my system).
>
> Graphics.dll
> PathEngine.dll
>
> But i haven't found out for what these DLLs are. (yeah,
> i searched for graphics, pathengine, GRAPHICS and PATHENGINE,
> too.)

	When WINE cannot load important DLL it will display this as error in the
console. If there is no such DLLs, no errors and no bugs that means that
application have some redundant code. This isn't useful unless you are the
developer of that application.

> I thought - Maybe (if i'm lucky) i'll find some interesting things or
> things i could fix, so that i could provide help for others. (Like
> missing DLLs, other fixable errors, fixme's that i could fix, etc). The
> only thing i wouldn't touch is DirectX ;-)

	Usually if DLL is missed it is up to installer or user to install it.
Sometimes new DLLs are added in WINE. But implementing DLL from scratch isn't
a task for beginers.
	Fixmes as I have said above aren't bugs by themselves so there is nothing to
fix unless you find (or create) Windows application that doesn't work
correctly because of partial or stubbed implementation - then fixing
corresponding fixme is useful and this is actually they are for, to remind
that something isn't fully implemented.
	If you want to help WINE Project by fixing something and don't know where to
start - go to http://bugs.winehq.org and read some bug reports: some bugs are
easy to fix even with basic or moderate programming experience (if you have
enough free time of course).
	If you want to fix particular problem, or at least find a cause of it, try to
concentrate on this task only. Solving problems one-by-one is faster than
trying to find and fix a lot of problems simultaneously.
	Please note that even if you cannot fix a problem but can find a cause of it
in the code this is *very* useful information for corresponding bug report
and may greatly help to WINE developers.