[Wine] Wayward Directories

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Sun Nov 25 15:53:52 CST 2007

On Sunday November 25 2007 20:43, David Baron wrote:

> > > abcmus is free and is doing this.
> >
> >         I have tried it and cannot reproduce.
> >         Try this:
> >
> > mv ~/.wine{,.backup}
> > wineprefixcreate
> > wine setup.exe
> > cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/AbcMus2/
> > wine abcmus.exe
> >
> >         Does this help? If yes then there is no bug in WINE.
> >         If you still have this problem can you give step-by-step way to
> > reproduce it with AbcMus 2.0?
>
> Moveing the .wine and recreating it did solve the directories problem
> setup.exe does not work but winecfg does.

	What do you mean by "setup.exe" doesn't work (I think it is obvious that you
should have setup.exe in current directory)? Installation of AbcMus works
fine for me with current WINE.

> Some programs are being run off the windows partitions.

	This isn't supported by Windows and this isn't supported by WINE. Never do
this. If you installed something in WINE - use it with WINE only. If you
installed something in Windows - use it only in Windows.
	This is true for different installations of Windows: if you installed
something in one installation of Windows you shouldn't run this program in
another installation of Windows.
	In some cases such broken configuration may work but you should understand
that this is not supported neither by WINE nor by Windows (because this is
broken configuration).
	In short: don't report problems if you didn't installed program properly.
	Sometimes even programs without installer may not work from Windows
partition. For example if you have NTFS partition and will try to run Windows
program using ntfs-3g driver - this isn't supported for good (technical)
reasons and therefore may not work correctly.

> Some were installed in wine specifically.

	This is only supported way. Always install programs in WINE before using them
with it.

> While some programs run fine, others cannot find stuff like mfc42.dll and
> such which should be ubitquitous. Problem is that they look on c:
> \\windows\\system32 or such. My windows is would be \\win98\\system...
> The  only one I have is on the c:\win98\system. These are not found
> on .wine/drive_c/windows.

	I don't understand what do you mean? Do you expect WINE to find and use
system files or system' paths from real Windows? If so this is same as to
expect one installation of Windows to use system files or system' paths of
other Windows installation (this isn't supported by Windows and isn't
supported by WINE).
	If you havn't mfc42.dll and your application needs it - copy it to
~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32 directory. In fact it is up to the
application to install this DLL - if it doesn't then this is bug in the
application' installer.
	WINE and Windows are very similar. Don't expect from WINE something that
isn't supported in Windows.

> Also orignally, wine used both its own registry and the one on the windows
> drive (read only).

	This isn't supported too. And personally I see no point in such broken
configuration.

	Before asking for help make sure that:

	1) You have clean WINE prefix with as little native DLLs as possible.
	2) Program in question is installed properly in WINE.
	3) You've tried to (re)move your current WINE prefix and reinstall your
program again - if this doesn't help and in Windows everything works as it
should then your problem is reproducible and it is bug in WINE.
	If recreating WINE prefix directory and reinstalling the application helps
then your previous installation was broken.

	As a rule of thumb never use Windows registry, never import registry entries
from Windows, never run programs from Windows partition and so on. This isn't
supported. Even more: in practice it simply don't worth the trouble.
Sometimes it may work as expected but if it doesn't this is your fault. Of
course if the program was properly installed in clean WINE and it doesn't
work - this is WINE fault and should be reported.

	Thank you for using WINE.