[Wine] Problem with FlexLM licensing

Paul Jackson sa212+wine at cyconix.com
Wed Oct 3 04:17:21 CDT 2007

Dan Kegel wrote:
> The key to getting MXE III's starter version
> working is to use native msvcrt.  (Our fread
> has a bug in it when reading binary files
> as ascii, it seems.  I'll file a bug soon.)  So try
>   wget http://kegel.com/wine/winetricks
>   sh winetricks vcrun6
> and then set msvcrt to native in winecfg.
> Let me know whether that lets you get MXE III's
> starter edition going.
> - Dan

You're a star, Dan; it works.

I should write up some details on getting it running, but I've got some
concerns on legality. I guess the only dubious step is that I supplied a
drive ID when requesting a license, and set my Wine drive ID to that
number. I guess that someone could complain that this is against the
spirit (or the letter?) of the license agreement. On the other hand, if
I'd set Wine's ID first, and then requested a license for that ID, that
seems perfectly kosher to me.

Any thoughts, anyone?

PJ