[Wine] Upgrading Wine

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Mon Oct 15 15:42:04 CDT 2007

On Monday October 15 2007 10:35, Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI wrote:
>  Going to install .47 to replace .46.
>
> Should I delete ~/.wine and reinstall all my apps, to make sure I catch any
> possible regression ?

	Probably no. Reinstall of application in clean WINE is typically useful only
if you already catch a regression and need to make sure that this regression
is reproducible with clean WINE. If you have no problems there is no point in
reinstalling all your applications.
	If you need a simple way to find out if any particular problem is
reproducible with clean WINE it is good idea to create separate wine prefix
directory like this:

WINEPREFIX=~/.wine.tmp wineprefixcreate

	Then you can install your application where you think you found a regression
as usually. For example:

WINEPREFIX=~/.wine.tmp wine setup.exe

	You can export WINEPREFIX environment variable in order to not retype it with
every WINE-related command.
	Using above simple instructions you will be able to test possible regressions
in clean wine prefix directory without touching you main ~/.wine folder. And
as I said above I see no point in reinstalling all your applications in clean
wine prefix directory if you don't have problems with your current one.
	Of course you may miss regressions in overridden DLLs (if you really want to
catch all possible regressions make sure that you are using only builtin
DLLs).