[Wine] Civ IV

Joe Auty joe at netmusician.org
Mon Oct 22 08:39:49 CDT 2007

L. Rahyen wrote:
> On Monday October 22 2007 05:59, Joe Auty wrote:
>> I don't have a d3dx9_26 library, only a d3dx9 one. Did I possibly
>> install the wrong DLL? Other than this, I have followed these
>> instructions. I'm getting the following error:
>
> 	If some DDLs are missing you will see errors about missing DLLs in terminal
> output. If you have wrong version of native DLL then you may see errors about
> some functions unimplemented in DLL that you installed and then you need find
> better version of that DLL. Of course, if you have no such errors then you
> don't need additional DLLs.
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to get Civ IV running on my 64 bit version of Ubuntu 7.10
>> using the latest Wine version using these directions:
>
> 	First try to install your game without any special instructions and without
> any DLL overrides. Then try to launch your game like this: cd to it
> installation directory and type "wine game.exe". If it fail and say (in
> terminal output) that you need some DLLs, install them (just put them to
> ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/ directory). If game still doesn't work then
> please report bug to http://bugs.winehq.org/ .
> 	Reporting bugs is as simple as writing to this list (just make sure attach
> long terminal output instead of just pasting it) but most developers don't
> read wine-users mailing list at all - they prefer to read bug reports from
> http://bugs.winehq.org/ because this is much more convenient. So if you want
> to get your bug fixed you really need to report it at
> http://bugs.winehq.org/ .
> 	Thank you for using WINE.

Thank you!

Please find my CivIV output (w. no DLL overrides) attached. The output
looks identical, if not similar to my output w. DLL overrides.

Could you please identify whether this is indeed a Wine bug, or simply a
problem with my install? Errors like:

err:menubuilder:WinMain failed to build menu item for C:\Program
Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Saves.lnk

make me think that the latter might be the case...

If it is a bug, please let me know and I'll be more than happy to post
it to http://bugs.winehq.org

Thanks in advance!

- --
Joe Auty
NetMusician: web publishing software for musicians
http://www.netmusician.org
joe at netmusician.org