[Wine] Backup binaries

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Tue Oct 23 11:50:05 CDT 2007

On Tuesday October 23 2007 15:44, Jeffrey Cobb wrote:
> I'm using Debian - Etch.
>
> Where does WINE keep it's binaries and libs so I can make a backup of my
> current working WINE prior to compiling -- just in case I mess something
> up?

	You can simply run WINE compiled from source without installing it. But
personally I prefer to use "make install" to install it. It will be installed
in /usr/local/ by default so it will work very well with binary WINE
installation (so there is no need to backup it, it will stay untouched and
there is no reason to worry).
	If you have WINE installed from source in /usr/local/ and WINE installed from
binary package in /usr/ then you can use "/usr/bin/wine"
or "/usr/local/bin/wine" to run WINE from .deb or WINE compiled by yourself
respectively. If you run just "wine" then your system will choose WINE
executable depending on what path (/usr/bin/ or /usr/local/bin/) will be
encountered *first* in your PATH environment variable. To make sure that you
are going to run "right" WINE executable use "type wine" command.
	When compiling WINE from source don't forget to run ./configure --verbose
first. This will help you to eliminate missing dependencies (please note that
some dependencies are optional and when you see missing dependency you should
install 32-bit libraries not 64-bit).
	If you want to do regression testing (make sure to use git to get full source
code with git tree) it is very good idea to download binary packages with
different versions of WINE. Installation of binary WINE works quickly so you
can use this to minimize number of steps in actual regression testing. For
example if you know that wine-0.9.40 does work for particular app but 0.9.47
doesn't then this is good but if you do know that 0.9.42 doesn't work too and
0.9.41 works this is even better and will let you to complete regression
testing faster especially if you have slow machine.
	Hope this information will be useful.