[Wine] is wine's ASPI suitable for firmware update?

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Sat Oct 27 09:37:04 CDT 2007

On Saturday October 27 2007 05:30, Németh Márton wrote:
> My question is that how complete is the ASPI implementation in wine?
> May the firmware update work under wine, or we are far from this state?

	Direct hardware access doesn't work on WINE. For example, you cannot record
CD or DVD using Windows software under WINE. However, you can record CD or
DVD using VMWare (it has free trial for 30 days - more than enough to update
firmware). VirtualBox or QEmu (both are free) maybe will work too but I never
tested them for that purpose. Actually, I never used VMWare for updating
firmware in SCSI/IDE/SATA device but I think this should work too - probably
as good as CD/DVD writing. Anyway, there is no harm to try this. You can
download VMWare at http://vmware.com .
	Use of sophisticated virtual machines is the only way in your case. Another
alternative is to use DOS executables for update (many vendors have them as
an alternative) with FreeDOS but this will require reboot; and this is only
way if you havn't a copy of Windows CD/DVD (it is needed for virtual
machine).