[Wine] is wine's ASPI suitable for firmware update?

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Sat Oct 27 12:30:50 CDT 2007

On Saturday October 27 2007 16:23, Uwe Bonnes wrote:
> L. Rahyen wrote:
> >   Direct hardware access doesn't work on WINE.
>
> An ASPI Call isn't "Direct hardware access".  "Direct hardware access"
> works under wine if you are root and if you allow the accessed hardware
> ports in wine. However since Win95 no programm uses direct hardware access.
> The programs use drivers, and you can't run these drivers in wine.

	But drivers DO use direct hardware access (or specific kernel-level
functions) and this doesn't work. This is exactly what I mean. As far as I
know ASPI works in Windows with use of specific drivers (aspi32.sys and
wnaspi32.dll if I remember correctly).
	I searched WINE dlls and now I see that WINE has wnaspi32.dll implementation
(that uses Linux interface). I missed this somehow (probably because I rarely
try to use WINE to access my hardware; only exception is Samsung mobile
phone). Not sure how well it supposed to work but I think it is good idea to
fill a bug report at http://bugs.winehq.org .

> > For example, you cannot record CD or DVD
> > using Windows software under WINE.
>
> You can.

	Last time I tried was about a year ago and it doesn't worked with few
different programs for CD/DVD recording. Unfortunately I'm not aware of any
improvements in this area so I didn't try since. Can you give an example of
Windows program which can burn CD/DVD on WINE? Thanks.