[Wine] Running EQ2 under Wine locks my system... anyone else?

Rick Romero rick at valeoinc.com
Tue Sep 18 16:03:00 CDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 22:53 +0200, JusTiCe8 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Austin English wrote:
> > Wine by definition cannot lock up your system unless you are running
> > it as root. This is most likely due to buggy (read: ATI) drivers.
> I have nvidia drivers, and sometime, bad thing somewhere lead to a
> freeze of Xorg, I guess the lock of system is in fact limited to X only,
> so if you could connect remotely to your host, maybe restarting X could
> help, or reboot cleanely.

Same here.  I have a Matrox G400 Dual Head, and sometimes, opening a
Context menu in OpenOffice (click File for example) will freeze Xorg.
I'm able to ssh in, and kill X.   But for an end-user system, this might
as well be a system freeze.  About the only thing I don't have to
restart/redo is my Netware mount.  :/

I was going to buy a newer dual-head card, but if it's happening with
other drivers, I'm not going to waste my money and I'll just avoid
OO.org because that's where it happens for me. :/

As much as I'm with Austin and agree ATI drivers tend to suck, there
seems to be a bigger bug with Xorg in general...

Rick

Rick Romero
IT Manager
Valeo, Inc.     ph: 262.695.4841