[Wine] Wine does not use PATH for DLL search, is this a bug or feature ?

Kuang-Chun Cheng kcc1967 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 22:31:08 CDT 2007

Hi,

I test both 0.9.44 and 0.9.45 and found that Wine does not use
PATH environment variables for  DLL search.

My test application is a Qt 336 application, QSlider.exe.
QSlider.exe require both qt-mt336.dll and mingwm10.dll.   If I copy
both dll to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32, I can invoke QSlider.exe
from anywhere and it works OK.

If I put both dlls to, eg. /opt/qt-3.3/bin.  And setup PATH with
/opt/qt-3.3/bin included.   Invoke QSlider.exe will give me error message:

err:module:import_dll Library qt-mt336.dll (which is needed by
L"Z:\\home\\kcc\\QSlider.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for
L"Z:\\home\\kcc\\QSlider.exe" failed, status c0000135

My guess is wine just simple ignore PATH environment variable when
searching DLL,
am I correct ?  Is this a bug or a feature ?
Under WinXP/2K ... the PATH env. variables do work ... but not Wine.
Can someone confirm this ?   Thanks a lot.

Regards
KC