[Wine] Problem with FlexLM licensing

Paul Jackson sa212+wine at cyconix.com
Fri Sep 28 08:42:07 CDT 2007

I'm trying to run up ModelSim (a commercial simulator for hardware
description languages), which is licensed on FlexLM, using the hard disk
number. This program isn't listed in the apps database.

I have a valid license, and the Flex tools are correctly identifying,
under Wine, that there's a licence and that it's valid. They find the
appropriate env variable, identify the license, and then confirm that
the license is good. ModelSim has its own license diagnostic utility,
and this also manages to find the license, and confirm that it's valid.

However, when I run up ModelSim itself, it complains about an invalid
license environment.

I've got no idea what's going on here; presumably ModelSim is using a
different mechanism to communicate with Flex when it runs its license
diagnostic, and when it runs the app for real. I've tried running it
under strace, but I haven't managed to get any clues on how it
communicates with Flex.

Any ideas? Are there any known problems with running flex-licensed apps?

Thanks.