[Wine] Problem with FlexLM licensing

Paul Jackson sa212+wine at cyconix.com
Fri Sep 28 11:27:22 CDT 2007

Xavier Bestel wrote:

>> Any ideas? Are there any known problems with running flex-licensed apps?
>
> I have no idea, but I know for sure that ModelSim has a linux version
> (32 and 64 bits). Why don't you try this instead ?

The simple answer is that the Linux versions cost twice as much (>$20K);
Mentor views the Linux market as the professional market. However, the
software's identical. The more complex answer is that I'm actually
trying to install the free MXE-III version, which is still licensed, and
there's no Linux equivalent. This is actually the last step in getting
all the Xilinx development tools onto Linux; the rest of it just runs
natively now.

I now think the issue is actually that I'm not running a license daemon
anywhere. When I run the Mentor diagnostics, I think that 'diagnose'
actually runs up Flex's 'lmgrd'. However, when I try to run modelsim
itself, I think that it expects a daemon to be running already. That's
my current theory, anyway. However, I'm not convinced yet that the
Windows version of this software actually requires any daemons to be
running.

I've had various attempts at starting lmgrd under wine, but all of them
have failed. This is going to take some thinking about, but I'd
certainly appreciate any input from anyone who has done anything similar.

Thanks -

PJ