[Wine] Running an old Win95 game

joechummer wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Apr 1 04:14:03 CDT 2008

I'm fairly new when it comes to using WINE and Linux (although I have a barebones Unix background), so bear with me.  :)

I'm running WINE on a 4G Eee PC (running Xandros in KDE mode, not tabbed "Easy mode") and trying to experiment with what WINE can run on this little thing.

I recently tried running an old Win95 version of DooM (doom95.exe, so-called "Ultimate DooM").  After WINE starts, the game loads the main engine's init page/splash screen; then it sits there until I hit the space bar, upon which it and WINE both close without any kind of error message.

I should think that the graphics card on the Eee PC should at the very least be able to render a 12+ year-old 3D game that doesn't even require 3D acceleration, but I can't figure out exactly what is tripping up the initialization.  I have doom95.exe configured in WINE to run in Win95 compatibility mode.

Is there a log or something i can look at to see what might be causing the game to crash?  I took a look at WINE's man page, but all of the parameters are Greek to me.

Also, I've only installed the default winelib but saw there are other wine-related packages in the debian repositories.  Would I need any of these to support WINE-run apps like this one?