[Wine] Re: Running an old Win95 game

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Apr 2 16:27:13 CDT 2008

Dan Kegel wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 7:38 AM, DARKGuy . <dark.guy.2008 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I wonder, if we're keeping offering alternatives, what's the whole
> > point of WINE then?...
> >

> Here's the deal:
>
> It's great to try running old Windows games
> and reporting bugs when they don't work.  That helps Wine
> advance.  We should encourage users to do this.
>
> However, for users who just want to play games and
> don't have the patience to help Wine, it's useful to
> suggest alternatives.
>
> I think the user in question was willing to help Wine,
> so we should guide him through the steps of filing an
> appdb test result and/or bugzilla bug report.

Then people should say something about that. Bugzilla is the place to file problems for some one in some point in the future to get to and possibly fix. Forum is the place where people ask to get their stuff working now regardless of what it takes.

In this particular case, having native Linux version of the games that works exactly the same as the windows one is way better. And ultimately they are the same exact thing. Just different versions of exactly the same program. Suggesting replacements like pidgin in place of MSN messanger is not the same things.